Dennis J. Dunphy
Dennis Dunphy’s litigation practice focuses on eminent domain actions, construction and related risk management for developers and contractors, and business disputes. He has represented numerous business owners whose property has been subjected to condemnation for station locations and other right of way acquisitions by Sound Transit and the Seattle Monorail Project.
Dennis has served as a faculty member at numerous continuing education seminars, including the American Law Institute’s Eminent Domain and Condemnation law courses, Executive Enterprise’s Environmental Regulation Course, and an Associated General Contractors-sponsored course on construction law. He has participated in a rewrite of the Compensation section of Nichols, the leading treatise on the law of Eminent Domain (condemnation).
- Seminar Group, Fourth Annual Issues in Condemnation CLE, “Compensability of Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions in Condemnation,” 2013
- American Law Institute-American Bar Association: Condemnation 101, “Before and After – A Forensic Approach to Damages In Eminent Domain Cases,” January 2009, Miami Beach, FL.
- American Law Institute-American Bar Association: Condemnation 101, Mediating the Condemnation Case, January 2008, San Francisco, CA.
- Risk Management Strategies for Multi-Family and Mixed Use Development, May 10, 2006, Seattle, WA.
Published Articles and Papers
- Denial is not a Strategy: Business Planning to Minimize Condemnation Impact
- Have You Considered Pre-condemnation Planning?
- Court Allows Condemnation of “Excess” Private Propert
Bar Admissions and Memberships
- Washington State Courts
- Montana State Courts
- United States District Court, Eastern and Western District of Washington
- United States District Court, District of Montana
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- Washington State Bar Association
- Member, Washington State Bar, Sections on Public Procurement and Private Construction Law and Environmental and Land Use Law.
- Advisory Board, Catholic Community Services of Western Washington. Mr. Dunphy provides volunteer legal services for low income persons through the Catholic Community Services Legal Action Center.
- Board of Directors, Owners’ Counsel of America, 2009-2012.