Jill S. Gelineau
Jill Gelineau joined Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt in 1985 and has been a shareholder since 1992, where she has developed a litigation practice with primary emphasis on representing landowners throughout Oregon in condemnation matters and property rights litigation.
Jill has been a speaker at numerous conferences locally, nationally and internationally, primarily speaking on the topics of condemnation, land use and property valuation litigation. In 1995, she spoke to the Law Society of England and Wales in London.
Significant Eminent Domain and Property Rights Representations and Reported Decisions
- Jill successfully represented the Dolans in the Dolan v. City of Tigard trial following its remand from the United States Supreme Court, a case which established significant property rights for landowners.
- She represented Michael Kelley and Danebo Properties in a lawsuit against the City of Eugene, which was settled for $3.95 million after the City refused to allow Mr. Kelley to develop his property in violation of federal and state takings laws.
- She successfully represented Modoc Lumber Co when the City of Klamath Falls took 60 acres of its property by eminent domain. the City contended the property was only worth $100,000 but the jury returned a verdict that the property was valued at $1.66 million.
A selection of Ms. Gelineau’s most recent presentations are below. For a complete list of all of her presentations, please click here.)
- 6/2014:The Seminar Group: State and Federal Eminent Domain Law Update (Portland, OR)
- 3/2014: International Right of Way Association: What Property Owners Dislike About Right of Way Agents (Portland, OR)
- 1/2014: ALI-CLE Condemnation 101 Seminar: Landlord and Tenant: Apportionment and Issues of Tension Between the Parties (New Orleans)
- 8/2013: Southwest Washington Contractors Association: A Developer’s Bill of Rights: Recent Game Changing Cases – The Law of Takings in the Context of Exactions (Vancouver, WA)
- 6/2013: 6th Annual Eminent Domain Conference: State and Federal Domain Law Update (Portland, OR)1/2013: ALI Eminent Domain and Land Valuation Litigation Seminar: When Is Temporary Taking Not a Temporary Taking? New Cases Reshape An Old Concept. (Miami Beach, FL)
- 1/2013: ALI Condemnation 101 Seminar: Bridging the Gap: Mediation Strategies in Eminent Domain. (Miami Beach, FL)
- 1/2012: ALI-ABA Condemnation 101 Seminar: Condemnee: Working with Clients and Suggestions for a Case Plan. (San Diego, CA)
- 2/2010: ALI-ABA Condemnation 101 Seminar: How to Prepare and Present an Eminent Domain Case. (Scottsdale, AZ)
- 5/2009: Eminent Domain Seminar: Current Developments in Condemnation, Valuation, and challenges. (Portland, OR)
- 1/2009: ALI-ABA Condemnation 101 Seminar: Effective Use of Exhibits at Trial. (Miami Beach, FL)
- 12/2008: Oregon American Planning Association: Revisiting Dolan. (Portland, OR)
- 5/2008: Eminent Domain Seminar: Current Developments in Condemnation, Valuation and Challenges. (Portland, OR)
- 1/2008: ALI-ABA Condemnation 101 Seminar: Taking and Defending Depositions in a Condemnation Case. (San Francisco, CA)
- 2007: Using Jury Instructions to Shape the Trial. (Miami, FL)
- 2006: Oregon Task Force on Land Use Planning Presentations. (Eugene & Portland, OR)
- 2006: Update: Condemnation of Contaminated Property. (Portland, OR)
- 2006: Condemnation for Light Rail and Transportation Projects. (San Diego, CA)
- 2005: Eminent Domain: US Supreme Court Decision: Kelo Case Update – What the Case Is and What You Need to Know. (Portland, OR)
Bar Admissions and Memberships
- United States District Court, District of Oregon
- United States District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Washington
- American Bar Association
- Oregon Bar Association
- Co-Chair, American Bar Association Section of Litigation-Condemnation, Zoning and Land Use Committee, 2006-2008
- Chair of the Litigation Committee, American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, 1992-1993
- Chair of the Publications Committee American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, 1993-1994