Joseph P. Suntum
Joseph Suntum joined Miller, Miller & Canby in 1988 and has been a principal in the firm since 1994. Joe focuses his practice upon the representation of property owners throughout Maryland and the District of Columbia in eminent domain litigation. He also practices in the areas of real estate litigation, complex business litigation and appellate advocacy. Joe is among the few exceptional trial lawyers who have successfully tried both murder cases and multi-million dollar civil actions. He has also successfully argued numerous appeals before the Maryland courts of appeal.
Before joining Miller, Miller & Canby, Joe served as a law clerk to the Honorable Elsbeth Levy Bothe in Circuit Court for Baltimore City. He also served four years as an Assistant Public Defender for Montgomery County where he first earned his reputation as an outstanding trial advocate.
“Joe Suntum is a business person’s lawyer. He understands how to use the legal system to get to a result, rather than just spinning around to no good end. He counsels well to assist us in reaching our goals. “
Allen P. Lev, General Counsel, Kin Properties, Inc.
“Joe Suntum represented us in a complex eminent domain case involving commercial properties with multiple tenants and jurisdictional issues. Joe methodically, persistently and successfully achieved 100% of our claim. We are a satisfied and grateful client.”
Michael Hollins, Chairman, Canal Group
“Joe and his team at Miller, Miller & Canby have been exceptional in the process, and set a new standard in excellence, in depth of knowledge and responsiveness.”
Harvey Maisel, Maisel Development Co.
“Joe Suntum has done an outstanding job representing the owner of an apartment complex that is subject to a partial taking by the State in connection with the construction of the Purple Line. As the President of an apartment management company and in my previous career, as the partner in charge of the real estate group in the DC office of a national law firm, I have had the benefit of working with many excellent eminent domain attorneys. I would put Joe up there with the best of them.”
Jim Ritzenberg, President, SR Management Company
“Joe Suntum of “Miller, Miller & Canby” has represented myself & my family on an Eminent Domain case in Silver Spring Maryland. My family has owned land for over 40 years and the state has taken a portion of it in order to build the Purple Line. Joe & the firm have provided the highest level of knowledge and expertise while vigorously representing my family’s best interest. The case is very complex and we have appreciated the creativity that Joe has provided while always being attentive to all of my family’s concerns.”
“The Townhouse Association, which I am the President, engaged Miller, Miller & Candy and Joe Suntum to help us with the settlement the Purple Line was offering us. Joe Suntum did an outstanding job. The final settlement he got for us was much higher than the one the Purple Line was offering us. We were very much pleased. Joe Suntum and his team are very professional.”
Significant Eminent Domain and Property Rights Representations and Reported Decisions
- State Roads Commission v. 8501 Georgia, LLC, et. al., (Offer: $11,078,100; Agreed Inquisition: $16,000,000), 2018
- State Roads Commission v. Nasue Trust, et. al., Civil No. CAL 17-02090 (Offer: $186,850; Agreed Inquisition: $905,000), 2018
- State Roads Commission v. Marriott International Administrative Services, Inc., Civil No. 10-C-16-002081 (Offer: $1,473,900; Agreed Inquisition: $2,240,000), 2017
- State Roads Commission v. Canal Realty LLC, Civil No. 434578-V (Offer: $22,909,300; Agreed Inquisition: $24,324,334.66), 2017
- State Roads Commission v. Wilson Towers, L.L.L.P., Civil No. CAL 16-18416 (Offer: $854,050; Award: $2,627,400), 2017
- State Roads Commission v. Lulu Alexander, Civil No. CAL 15-16275 (Offer: $49,700; Award: $307,500), 2017
- State Roads Commission v. Altamyr Almeida, Civil No. 422233-V (Offer: $590,000; Inquisition: $950,000), 2017
- Columbia Gas Transmission v. 252.071 Acres, Civil No. 1:15-cv-03462-ELH (Offer: $103,000; Award: $538,450), 2017
- State Roads Commission v. 1120 OPR-1133 SPB, LLC, Civil No. 12-C-16-100 ($612,950; Agreed Inquisition: $1,324,000), 2016
- Montgomery County v. NPR Partnership, C.I.P. No. 500717 (Offer: $1,250,000; Settlement: $1,959,237), 2016
- State Roads Commission v. Beards Hill Shopping Center, LLC, Civil No. IZ-C-14-001534 (offer: $760,900; Agreed Inquisition: $1,801,371), 2014
- Montgomery County Board of Education v. Jean K. Phillips, Trustee, et. al., Civil No. 364708-V, (Offer: $2,300,000; Agreed Inquisition: $4,142,500), 2013
- State Highway Administration v. Landfair Properties, LLC, Civil No. CAL11-37734, (Offer: $2,300,000; Settlement: $12,500,000), 2013
- Montgomery County, Maryland v. Wilgus Associates, Civil No. 325597-V, (Offer $4,819,000; Settlement: $9,669,000), 2011
- Montgomery County, Maryland v. Jack F. Poole, Civil No. 334945-V, (Offer: $74,650; Inquisition: $225,000), 2011
- Montgomery County, Maryland v. Oakmont Limited Partnership, Civil No. 330053-V, (Offer: $1,600,000; Settlement: $4,390,000), 2010
- State Roads Commission v. Bertrand T. Fang, Civil No. 295600-V, (Offer $1,483,750; Agreed Inquisition: $3,698,000), 2009
- Montgomery County, Maryland v. John G. Grimberg Trust, Civil No. 297479-V, (Offer: $1,725,000; Inquisition: $2,225,000), 2009
- State Roads Commission v. Frederick Dunn, Civil No. 23395-M, (Offer: $704,200; Settlement: $1,056,300), 2008
- State Roads Commission v. Interdenominational Church of God, Civil Nos. 22265-M and 22226-M, (Offer: $147,850; Settlement: $737,727), 2008
- State Roads Commission v. Anne M. Willson, Civil No. 285025-V, (Offer: $3,750,000; Agreed Inquisition: $4,650,000), 2008
- State Roads Commission v. Donald E. McNeill, Civil No. 283022-V, (Offer: $2,700,000; Settlement: $3,825,000), 2007
- SHA v. Southern Asias Adventist Association, Civil No. 281607-V, (Offer $2,150,000; Settlement: $3,375,000), 2007
- Montgomery County, Maryland v. Montrose Medical Associates, Civil No. 259921-V, (Offer $1,162,800; Settlement: $4,500,000), 2006
A selection of Joe’s most recent presentations are listed below. For a full list of his speeches, please visit here.
- American Law Institute, Eminent Domain and Land Value Litigation, “An Overview of Common Condemnation Issues” January 26, 2018, Charleston, South Carolina.
- American Law Institute, Eminent Domain and Land Value Litigation, “Taking Depositions in a Condemnation Case” January 28, 2016, Austin, Texas
- American Law Institute, Eminent Domain and Land Valuation Litigation, “Opening and Closing: Laying Out Your Case and Bringing It Home,” February 6, 2015, San Francisco, California.
- American Law Institute, Condemnation 101, “Tips and Traps for the Beginning Eminent Domain Attorney,” January 24, 2014, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- American Law Institute, Condemnation 101, “Trial Strategies for the Opening Statement in an Eminent Domain Jury Trial,” January 25, 2013, Miami Beach, Florida.
- American Law Institute, Condemnation 101, “Effective Closing Arguments in Eminent Domain Cases,” January 25, 2013, Miami Beach, Florida.
- American Law Institute, Condemnation 101, “Giving the Judge and Jury the Big Picture in a Condemnation Case,” January 27, 2012, San Diego, California.
- American Law Institute, Eminent Domain and Land Valuation Litigation, “Effective Voir Dire, Cross Examination, and Closing Argument from a Property Owner’s and a Condemnor’s Perspectives,” February 18, 2011, Coral Gables, Florida.
- American Law Institute, Condemnation 101, “Essential Exhibits: Demonstrative Evidence in Eminent Domain,” February 4, 2010, Scottsdale, Arizona.
Published Articles and Papers
A selection of Joe’s published works are available below. For a complete list of his written works, please visit here.
- Maryland Property Owners’ Handbook: The Condemnation Process and Just Compensation in the State Courts of Maryland
- Condemnation of Easements
- Compensation for Loss of Visibility to and View from the Owners’ Property
- Precondemnation Planning
- Post-Judgment Matters and Apportionment Proceedings
- The Condemnation Landscape Across the Country Post-Kelo — A Maryland Perspective
Bar Admissions and Membership
- American Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Montgomery County Bar Association (Secretary, 1995-1996; Executive Committee 1997-1999)
- Character Committee, Court of Appeals of Maryland, 1992-1997
- Board of Directors, Montgomery General Hospital, 2003-2009
- Board of Directors, Montgomery County Bar Foundation, 2005-2009