Michael Rikon, CRE
Michael Rikon has been practicing law in New York since being admitted to the State Bar in 1969. He began his law career as an Assistant Corporation Counsel for the City of New York, a position he held from 1969 to 1973, where he was a senior trial attorney in the Condemnation Division. From 1973 to 1980, Mike served as a law clerk to the Honorable Albert A. Blinder of the New York State Court of Claims. Before forming the firm that is now known as Goldstein, Rikon, Rikon & Houghton, P.C. in 1994, he established his own private practice specializing in condemnation law, real estate and litigation in the Court of Claims in 1980. Mike served as a special consultant to the New York State Commission on Eminent Domain in 1973 and 1974 and assisted in drafting New York’s Eminent Domain Procedure Law.
Mike is a frequent lecturer in New York, nationally and internationally on topics relating to eminent domain law, the valuation of private property and fixtures in condemnation proceedings and regulatory takings. He also contributes to professional and legal journals on subjects related to the practice of condemnation law.
Mike is also active in public and charitable activities. He has served as President of the Village Greens Home-Owners Association, Chairman of the Board of the Arden Heights Jewish Center, and President of the North Shore Republican Club. He has also served on the Zoning Committee of his Community Board.
- New York State Judicial Institute, “Valuation of Real Property in Litigation,” New York, April 7, 2015.
- American Law Institute: Eminent Domain and Land Valuation Litigation, “Cross Examining Appraisers: Taking Apart the Key Witness,” February 6, 2015, San Francisco, California.
- American Law Institute: Condemnation 101, “What to Do on Day One: The Initial Client Interview,” January 23, 2014, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- American Law Institute: Eminent Domain and Land Valuation Litigation, “Rearranging the Deck Chairs When the Ship is Going Down: Protecting Your Record for Appeal,” January 24, 2014, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- American Law Institute: Eminent Domain and Land Valuation Litigation, “Ethical Considerations in Eminent Domain Litigation,” January 25, 2013, Miami Beach, Florida.
- American Law Institute: Eminent Domain and Land Valuation Litigation, Things Condemnors Can Do To Save Time and Money,” January 26, 2012, San Diego, California.
- 7th International Conference on the Valuation of Plant Machinery and Equipment, “Case Study of Condemnation on Machinery and Equipment,” September 18-21, 2011, Beijing, China.
- American Law Institute-American Bar Association: Condemnation 101, “How the Case was Won: Practice Tips from Experienced Eminent Domain Practitioners,” February 5, 2010, Scottsdale, Arizona.
Highlighted below are a selection of Mike’s recently published works. To view a complete listing of his articles and papers, please visit here.
- Rearranging the Deck Chairs when the Ship is Going Down: Protecting Your Condemnation Record for Appeal, The Practical Real Estate Lawyer, May 2015.
- Is New York’s EDPL Right of Entry Unconstitutional?, New York Law Journal, June 2014.
- I Represented the Devil of Brooklyn, The Practical Real Estate Lawyer, July 2012.
- Basic Appraisal Concepts for Dummies, The Practical Real Estate Lawyer, January 2011.
- Moving The Cat Into The Hat: The Pursuit Of Fairness In Condemnation, Or, Whatever Happened To Creating A “Partnership Of Planning?“, Albany Government Law Review, April 2011.
- Temporary Regulatory Takings, New York Law Journal, August 4, 2008.
- The Perils of Prior Appraisal, Probate & Property, May/June 2008.
Bar Admissions and Memberships
- New York
- U.S. District Court: Eastern District of New York and Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, Fifth Circuit and Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- American Bar Association (Former Chair, Condemnation Committee, Litigation Section; Member, Sections on: Real Property, Probate and Litigation; Committee on, Land Use and Condemnation)
- New York State Bar Association (Member, Condemnation Committee)
- The Association of the Bar of the City of New York (Member, Condemnation Committee)
- Nassau County (Member, Condemnation Committee)
- Suffolk County (Member, Condemnation Committee)
- Designated Member, The Counselors of Real Estate®, www.cre.org, an international organization of real estate professionals recognized as the leading advisors in complex real property matters. Mike is among the fewer than 50 practicing attorneys who hold a CRE® designation.
- New York County Lawyers Association (Former Chair, Condemnation Committee; Judiciary Committee)
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- Trial Lawyers for Public Justice