William E. Ryan
William Ryan has been a partner at Ryan and Ryan since 1980 where he has concentrated his practice on the representation of Illinois property owners in eminent domain and inverse condemnation proceedings. He currently represents landowners in multiple road projects around the Chicago-area, including the new Elgin O’Hare Expressway, as well as owners whose property is being acquired by the State of Illinois for the proposed South Suburban Airport.
Bill has authored the chapter on inverse condemnation in Eminent Domain for the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education. He has lectured on eminent domain and tax increment financing redevelopment projects before numerous legal and appraisal organizations.
Significant Eminent Domain and Property Rights Representations
Bill has represented private property owners throughout metropolitan Chicago and the state of Illinois, including: Alter Group, ProLogis, Trammell Crow, Hamilton Partners, Hiffman Shaffer, Plote Construction, Meyer Material Co., Hawthorn Realty, Pasquinelli Builders, Town & Country Homes, Bigelow Homes, Corporetum Development Co., J.M.B. Realty, Walsh Higgins, Imperial Realty, Kennedy Homes, Pritzker family, Butler family, Philip Klutznick, Gallagher & Henry, Venator, Plitt Theaters (Chicago Theater), R.R. Donnelly & Sons, Target, Shell, BP, Exxon Mobil, McDonald’s, National Car Rental, Fifth Third Bank, LaSalle National Bank, Lakeside Bank, IHOP Corp., Home Run Inn, Yum Brands, Inc., Bank of America, and Institute for Basic Life Principles.
- American Law Institute, Eminent Domain and Land Valuation Litigation Course, “Running the Case: A Team Approach and Working with All the Players,” February 5, 2015, San Francisco, California.
- American Law Institute, Condemnation 101, “Tips and Traps for the Beginning Eminent Domain Attorney,” January 24, 2014, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- American Law Institute, Condemnation 101, “Cross Examination of Valuation Witnesses in Eminent Domain,” January 25, 2013, Miami Beach, Florida.
- American Law Institute-American Bar Association, Condemnation 101, “Strategic Discovery: A Plan and Purpose for Requesting Documents and Other Discovery,” January 27, 2012, San Diego, California.
Bar Membership and Admissions
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Admitted to practice before all Illinois state courts