Casey Pipes, CRE
Alabama Eminent Domain and Condemnation Attorney
Casey Pipes is the managing shareholder at the firm of Helmsing, Leach, Herlong, Newman & Rouse, P.C. Since joining the firm in 1996, Casey has been representing landowners in condemnation actions throughout Alabama in both federal and state courts. In addition to his eminent domain practice, Casey also represents clients in corporate and real estate transactions, land use entitlements, and with real property litigation and appeals.
Casey is also a member of The Counselors of Real Estate®, an international organization of real estate professionals recognized as the leading advisors in complex real property matters. He previously served as the Chairman of both the Condemnation, Zoning and Land Use Committee of the American Bar Association’s Section of Litigation and the Condemnation Committee of the American Bar Association’s Real Property, Trust and Estate (RPTE) Section. Casey was also elected to membership on the Council of the Alabama Law Institute (ALI). The Council includes six practicing attorneys from each federal Congressional District, and he will be one of the six Council members from Alabama’s 1st Congressional District, which includes Mobile, Baldwin, Washington, Escambia and Monroe Counties. The Council is the governing body of the Alabama Law Institute which is a legislative agency whose purpose is to clarify and simplify the laws of Alabama, to revise laws that are out-of-date, and to fill in gaps in the law where there exists legal confusion.
Casey Pipes is a frequent speaker at national and state-wide educational seminars on the subject of eminent domain and real property litigation. On the national level, he has presented papers at several of the American Law Institute’s “Eminent Domain and Land Valuation Litigation” seminars dating back to 2008, with his most recent presentations at the 2016 conference held in Austin, Texas. Casey has also made presentations at several national American Bar Association meetings. At the state-wide level, Casey has presented papers for the Appraisal Institute, CLE Alabama, the Alabama State Bar, CLE International, the International Right of Way Association (IRWA), the National Business Institute (NBI), Lorman Education Services, and Strafford.
- “Appraising Convenience Stores: Focusing on Highest and Best Use to Explain Damages Caused by Reductions in Access,” co-Author with Robert E. Bainbridge, MAI, SRA, American Law Institute-CLE: Eminent Domain and Land Valuation Litigation, January 2016.
- “Regulatory Takings Update: How the Alabama Supreme Court Solved the Williamson County/San Remo Hotel Conundrum,” American Bar Association, Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law, Condemnation Committee, 2013.
- Alabama Chapter, Fifty-State Survey: The Law of Eminent Domain, (Co-Author with Warren C. Herlong, Jr.), American Bar Association/First Chair Press, 1st Ed. (William G. Blake, Editor) (2012).
- Co-Author, “Social Media Development = Real Estate Development,” Real Estate Issues, Global Cities in an Era of Change, Counselors of Real Estate, 2017.
- Co-Author,”Alabama Enacts Major Revisions of Alabama Code 8-1-1″ Alabama Lawyer, Alabama Bar Association, November 2015.
- Co-Author, “How to Depose an Opposing Appraiser (With Deposition Questions),” The Practical Real Estate Lawyer, January 2007.
- Co-Author, “Damages to the Remainder – Loss of Parking Spaces in Condemnation Actions,” Probate and Property Magazine, May/June 2003.
- State of Alabama
- U.S. District Court for Southern District of Alabama
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Designated Member, The Counselors of Real Estate®
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Member, Council of the Alabama Law Institute
- Co-Chair, American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, Condemnation, Zoning and Land Use Committee (2010-2013)
- Chairman,American Bar Association, Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate’s Condemnation Committee (2013-2015)
- Secretary/Treasurer, Associate Board, Petroleum and Convenience Marketers of Alabama (2016- ) (Member, Associate Board, 2012-present)